Next Gen Pastor Job Overview
The Next Generation Pastor helps the Central Baptist Church family to carry out its mission primarily by providing spiritual, pastoral, and administrative leadership to all aspects of Next Generation Ministries (birth through grade 12). He serves as the chief communicator, biblical teacher, and leader of the Student Ministries, as well as shepherding carefully and prayerfully the youth team, children’s team, and preschool/nursery team; along with teens, parents, and volunteers involved in all Next Generation Ministries.
- A disciple of Jesus Christ who personifies a growing relationship with the Lord and demonstrates a love and passion for serving Him; and a member in good standing (or willing to become one) of Central Baptist Church.
- A clear calling to Next Generation Ministries.
- Spiritual gifts appropriate for this position, such as pastoring, leadership, and teaching.
- A lifestyle congruent with the biblical qualifications for leaders (1 Tim. 3:1-13; 2 Timothy 2; Titus1:5-9).
- A heart to honor God above all and to lead people, especially children and students, into deeper worship and knowledge of Him.
- Education in the field is a plus, but not required. Teachability is required.
- Engaging personality with strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- A high commitment to team ministry, relationships, and having fun along the way.
- Experience training others, building teams, and discipling team leaders.
- Ability to maintain appropriate discretion and confidentiality.
- A sound knowledge of Scripture and an ability to effectively apply Scriptural principles in ministry that leads to life transformation.
Responsibilities/Essential Job Duties:
- General Ministry Leadership
- Provide pastoral leadership for all Next Gen Ministries, which includes overseeing biblical teaching, worship, shepherding care, discipleship, evangelism, and missions.
- Work with the Lead Pastor and strategy team to set vision, direction, and goals that are aligned with the overall mission of Central Baptist Church.
- Participate in all scheduled staff meetings and staff development times.
- Assist with church-wide pastoral care and preaching.
- Teach the Bible with excellence, clarity, and authenticity, delivering scripturally grounded messages that are applicable to the everyday lives of students.
- Next Generation Ministry Leadership
- Implement a strategy for partnering with parents to reach the next generation with the gospel, disciple them in their faith, and equip them to live as fully devoted and growing disciples of Jesus.
- Plan and direct intentional opportunities for family-integrated worship and service.
- Provide a warm, safe, and friendly environment for children, students, and families.
- Develop, lead, and disciple Next Gen ministry teams (e.g., a Nursery Team, a Pre-school Team, a Children’s Team, a Student Ministries Team). This includes recruiting, training, evaluating, and encouraging ministry leaders.
- Be a student of child and adolescent faith development and ministry through independent study and occasional continuing education opportunities (seminars, conferences, etc.).
- Use appropriate child development knowledge to best meet the needs of the next generation in curriculum selection, discipline, groupings, etc.
- Work with other church leadership and staff to coordinate family-oriented events and outreach.
- Engage students with opportunities to develop a strong spiritual foundation and a growing faith in Christ, and to experience being an active part of the body of Christ.
- Encourage and facilitate student engagement in the larger church body.
- Build relationships with and provide pastoral care for students and their parents.
- Find creative ways to impact public schools by developing relationships with the schools in our community and creating potential outreach opportunities.
- Work with the Lead pastor in developing tools to gauge the effectiveness of the church ministries.