First Baptist Church, Prosper, TX www.fbcprosper.org
Associate Pastor for Discipleship and Students – Job Description
First Baptist Church of Prosper, Texas is seeking an Associate Pastor who would be responsible for working with the Senior Pastor, Elders, Staff, and volunteer ministry leaders to cultivate and grow the discipleship and student ministries of First Baptist Church of Prosper, TX, to the glory of God.
To be successful as an Associate Pastor at First Baptist Prosper, candidates should have a love for people, love and commitment to the local church, the ability to encourage growth in others and to equip them for the work of the ministry, and have the pastoral vision and administrative skills to guide multiple ministries in discipleship practices. This position will work under the direct supervision and direction of the Senior Pastor and work closely with all other staff members. Candidates must encourage a healthy and God-honoring work atmosphere.
Embody the Biblical qualifications of a Pastor/Elder (1 Tim. 3:1-7; Tit. 1:6-9; 1 Pet. 5:1-5)
- Display genuine humility, teachability, and a love for God’s Word and God’s people.
- Be a spiritually mature believer with an active, evident, and maturing relationship with Jesus Christ and a thorough knowledge of the Bible.
- Live and teach a lifestyle of adherence to biblical standards of morality, ethics, and the fruit of the Spirit.
- Be known for being repentant when confronted with sin.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in a theological discipline or related field (MDiv. preferred), or 3 years’ experience effectively leading discipleship ministries such as Sunday School, small groups, and student ministry.
- Demonstrate excellence in teaching, preaching, and other public communication skills.
- Demonstrate ministerial leadership with a sound understanding of Biblical doctrine and practice.
- Have a proven track record of committed, compassionate, and effective pastoral oversight, discipleship, and shepherding of those under his care.
- Have experience with leadership responsibilities with youth and/or adults in a local church context.
- Demonstrate the ability to start, build, organize, and manage church ministries.
- Possess administrative skills that demonstrate the ability to organize, plan, and communicate well.
- Be able to maintain a cross-ministry perspective and work collaboratively on strategic planning and priorities.
- Have the ability to share ministry with volunteers, staff, pastors, and/or Elders as part of a ministry team.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to relate well to children, students, and adults from diverse cultural and family backgrounds.
- Have the ability to keep confidences, and effectively demonstrate the ability to use appropriate judgment, discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality when working with others.
- Become a member and be in complete agreement with the priorities of First Prosper and the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.
- Above all, pursue a personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ, including maintaining a focus on your family, personal health, and personal spiritual growth.
Assist the Senior Pastor to develop systems to support ongoing ministry, provide administrative support, and assist in planning, leading, and executing various church initiatives and ministry strategies.
- Oversee the interrelated discipleship aspects of Adult, Children, and Student ministries.
- Implement curriculum, direct and administer programs, and equip members in order to cultivate a churchwide culture of discipleship.
- Manage all functions of the Student ministry (6th-12th grade), including:
- Teaching and discipling students
- Curriculum choices and implementation
- Ministry strategies and organization
- Special events, including student camps and other discipleship events.
- Recruiting and training volunteers
- Working alongside administrative staff and the Finance Team to manage budgets
- Communicate with and advise the Elders regarding ongoing church direction as it relates to discipleship.
- Attend Elder meetings as requested.
- Co-work with the Elders to:
- Disciple and shepherd the members of FBCP.
- Cultivate the spiritual health in community of FBCP.
- Uphold the Bylaws of FBCP.
- Preach and teach upon the request of the Senior Pastor or Elders.
- Offer additional direction and facilitate pastoral ministries as requested by the Senior Pastor or Elders.
To apply, please submit your resume along with cover letter and any other relevant materials to:
Scott W. Kay at email@example.com