Pastor of Students: Job Description
To serve as a vital team member with other church staff, working with gifted lay leadership in order to teach, equip, and grow students, from 7th through 12th Grade, and their families.
The Pastor of Students provides direction and oversight for Ridge Student Ministry, the student ministry at Ridgecrest (7th - 12th Grade). Ridgecrest offers Sunday School, Ridge Life Groups, and a midweek gathering. The Pastor of Students provides leadership, training, support, and oversight for all Ridge Student Ministry volunteers. The Pastor of Students works closely with the Minister to Children as both share responsibility for the implementation and development of programming for the spiritual formation of students and equipping parents to fulfill their calling as the primary spiritual leaders.
- Recruit, train and coordinate workers for Ridge Student Ministry classes, events, and worship services.
- Provide a warm friendly learning environment for students and families.
- Give teenagers the opportunity to experience a real and personal relationship with Christ.
- Use appropriate knowledge of adolescent development to meet the needs of Ridgecrest’s students for curriculum selection, discipline, and classroom grouping.
- Communicate the needs of the Ridge Student Ministry programs to other staff and church leaders as appropriate. Organize, set-up and stock classrooms with
- Provide primary oversight and evaluation of volunteer support in order to
address any issues or emergencies that arise. Teach classes as needed.
- Work to provide targeted training for parents of students.
- Counsel with families of students as needed.
- Attend weekly Staff meetings, and other ministry meetings as needed.
- Develop and administer Ridge Student Ministry budget.
- Participate in the life and worship of the congregation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor and/or the Pastor of Family and Community that contribute to the administration and life of the church.
The Pastor of Students reports directly to the Pastor of Family and Community.
- Has a personal, active, and growing relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
- Active in disciple-making and sharing the Gospel.
- Maintains an energetic, outgoing, and positive attitude with students and families.
- Must be a good listener and strong public speaker, with ability to effectively communicate and preach the Gospel.
- Collaborates well with individuals of all age groups.
- Demonstrates ability to connect with students, earning their respect and trust.
- Employs creativity and innovation, designing new and entertaining ways for students to learn what it means to live a life according to their faith values.
- Has ability to organize, supervise, and lead a large group of students at one time.
- Is comfortable visiting church families and meeting students where they are.
- Able to balance work and family.
- Physically capable of sustained activity.
- Previous experience leading a student ministry, including leadership of ministry staff (paid or volunteer staff members and/or a volunteer team).
- Undergraduate degree required; Seminary degree preferred.
- Meets biblical qualifications for pastoral leadership.
- Knowledge and experience in biblical interpretation, adolescent development (and faith development) and religious educational theory and practice.
- Maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
- Exercises prudence and accountability with church resources.
- Seeks opportunities to grow professionally.
- As a condition of employment, must sign and agree to Ridgecrest’s membership
- Exhibits professionalism when using social media.