The associate pastor will serve alongside the senior pastor and the music and youth director as an essential part of the leadership team at FBC Raton. The exact responsibilities of the associate pastor will vary on the basis of his gifts and desires as well as the needs of the church, so he must be willing to serve in various ways at different times. However, the following four areas will dominate his service:
- Praying daily for the church’s spiritual and physical well-being.
- Instructing her in sound doctrine through both teaching and preaching.
- Edifying her members through visitation and discipleship/counseling meetings.
- Leading her in reaching the lost through local, regional, & international outreach.
Position Requirements: The associate pastor must meet the biblical requirements for elder/overseer as laid out in Titus 1:6-9 and 1 Timothy 3:2-7. These qualifications can be summarized in three categories:
- Godly character. While we all stumble in many ways, a pastor must live an exemplary Christian life. Particular attention will be given to his leadership of his family and to the virtue of humility.
- Spiritual gifts. Not only must a pastor be able to teach the church, but he must be passionate about sharing the gospel as seen in Paul’s exhortation to “do the work of an evangelist.”
- Sound doctrine. The associate pastor must be in full agreement with our general articles of faith and be able to support our distinctive doctrines as articulated at fbcraton.org/our-beliefs/
FBC Raton is looking for a man who understands the high calling of pastoral ministry and who has the heart of a shepherd for God’s people.